Thursday, March 18, 2010

Promises, Promises

"The voice spoke to him a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean’…Then Peter began to speak, ‘I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right.’” Acts 10:15, 34

This first verse cited was an exchange between God and Peter. Peter refused to eat when God gave him a vision instructing him to eat what Peter considered unclean. God’s response was that everything God has made clean is to be accepted by man. The second verse is Peter’s acceptance of this truth as he adds another layer to his own belief system.

This was true in my own family before I was even born. My mom was born into a family of wonderful and loving parents, although they did not attend church. My dad was born into a family of ordained ministers and spiritual giants who led the church. At sixteen, my mother began attending church with a friend and later fell in love with my dad whose love was returned. My dad’s parents never judged my mother and her upbringing but welcomed her lovingly and completely into their family.

They understood that God doesn’t show favoritism and that because of my mother’s love for the LORD she has the same opportunities with Christ they possess. My grandparents never showed spiritual elitism but showed the humility that Christ showed in accepting everyone. My mother has been faced with the most difficult two years of her life and has displayed the same depth of trust in God and belief in His faithfulness as the spiritual giants of her in-laws.

We do not have to be born into a family of spiritual giants to obtain the promises of God. His precious promises and truths are equally available to all if we love God and accept Christ as our Savior.

No comments: