Wednesday, March 24, 2010

O Virgin Israel

“My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.” Jeremiah 24: 6-7

“I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving kindness. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt, O Virgin Israel.” Jeremiah 31:3

The first verse is God speaking of what He has done during the time of Israel’s rebellion and disobedience. He also speaks of their return to His heart as God tells all of this to the prophet Jeremiah. The second verse is the exchange between God and His chosen people, Israel as He intimates His undying love and commitment to rebuild them.

These words are so tender in their meaning and application to us today. We have all departed from what is right at some point in our lives. We have grieved both God and the Holy Spirit with some of our choices as we selfishly served sin instead of serving God. We all require the grace of God to forgive, restore and rebuild our faith.

When thinking of the word ‘drawn’ I visualize standing at a well as the bucket is lowered to draw water back up to me. That bucket is solid and secure allowing the water to hold its total capacity without exception. That is God’s love as He draws us close to His heart. He has a tight grip on our lives and provides everything needed to follow Him.

The most precious part of this passage for me is the emphasis He placed on the word Virgin. He sees us as His beloved being pure, whole and complete once the gift of forgiveness has been placed upon our lives. No matter what rebellion or disobedience we have placed upon our lives, through the precious gift of God’s love and commitment to us we are pure in His eyes and restored to full intimacy with Him.

No comments: