Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Expert Builder

“Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, ‘Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you…And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness. The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that Way; wicked fools will not go about it…But only the redeemed will walk there, and the ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.” Isaiah 35:3-10

One and one half years ago I was meeting Mother and Daddy at the radiologist’s office to come up with a plan for Daddy’s cancer pain. That morning in my quiet time God laid upon my spirit the first part of this passage. I felt they were words for Daddy in his time of uncertainty. I wrote them down on a small sheet of paper and handed it to him as we were sitting in the doctor’s office. He read it and through his familiar sweet smile thanked me and placed it in his wallet.

Yesterday while working with my sisters and mother in getting the house in order for visitors my mother came to me with the little piece of paper. She found it in his wallet and wanted to return it to me. As I read the familiar passage tears streamed down my face remembering that day at the doctor’s office. On that day I gave Him God’s words to comfort and encourage Him. As I read the words yesterday there was no doubt that Daddy was comforting and encouraging me through those same words. The same man who laid the foundation of Christ years ago in my life was the same spirit who would still comfort me.

“By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ…his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light…If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 1 Cor. 3:10-13

Don Miller was an expert builder indeed!

No comments: