Wednesday, March 31, 2010

On Dry Land...

“…and all that night the LORD drove the sea back with a strong east wind and turned it into dry land. The waters were divided, and the Israelites went through the sea on dry ground, with a wall of water on their right and on their left.” Ex. 14:21-22

“And as soon as the priests who carry the ark of the LORD-the LORD of all the earth- set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand up in a heap.” Joshua 3:13

“February 20, 1992 – I praise God for I am standing on holy ground completely overwhelmed at what God is doing for me in this period of bereavement. Humanly speaking, I should be devastated by Dewey’s passing, for I believe no two people could have been closer than we were. However, I am at peace and there is no way to account for what is not happening in my heart except that it is by the grace of God.” Gipsie Miller after the passing of my grandfather.

As I laid my sweet dad to rest I stand amazed at the same astonishment of my grandmother when she laid my grandfather to rest. Her words resonate in my heart and soul as I know the devastation I should be experiencing. Instead it is as if my dad stood up from one side of the Lords table and changed seats but still is dining with me. I still share ‘food’ with him such as ideas, thoughts and sweet memories.

Through the Lords presence the flowing downstream of grief has been drastically minimized. Don’t misunderstand me as I miss Daddy terribly but God knew I had a battle to fight that would require all of my strength. I am battling Alzheimer’s for my other dad and the enemy is invisible. The other night as I put my father-in-law in bed for the night I could actually feel my dad’s presence above being pleased with my service to God in this capacity. Daddy always worried about the emotional toll caregiving placed on me but now he views it from the other side of the Lords table. He sees the strength that is mine through Christ and he knows the fare I digest is one from above to grow and nourish me.

Yes, the waters of grief and despair are divided and I am walking on dry land with the ark of the LORD going before me.

No comments: