Saturday, March 13, 2010

Treasure Hunting

As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground…Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus. For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything.” Acts 9:3, 8

“Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you…I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.” Acts 26:16-18

I am so excited about the buried treasure that I found in Scripture that I can hardly type quickly enough. I was reading these two passages which both describe the conversion of Saul, the murderous persecutor of Christians into the man whom we love named Paul. The first passage is Luke’s description of what happened on the road to Damascus. The second is Paul’s as he described it to King Agrippa. The jewel that I’ve dropped in my spiritual knapsack is the absence of a major detail in Paul’s version. As Paul testifies to his conversion experience he leaves out the one detail that many of us highlight on our roads to Damascus – the darkness he experienced through his temporary blindness for three days. He is so passionate about Christ and what He offers everyone that the king never heard one detail of the temporary suffering. Paul stayed focused on the goal of forgiveness, redemption and the mercy of a Savior instead of the fear, limitations and darkness in the valley.

I want to be like Paul when talking about Christ! I don’t want to focus on the scales that have been placed upon my eyes creating a temporary darkness and inability to see the future. I want to testify to God’s love apart from my circumstances knowing that he will remove the scales of uncertainty in His perfect timing. There is another jewel from Paul's account of his conversion that we will polish tomorrow.

Father, may we speak of You in power and glory instead of focusing on our temporary circumstances which will be removed in Your time. Thank you for treasures Father!

No comments: